Cannabis Press Gallery
Below are are press items that provide information relating to the cannabis referendum. Additional information will be added as information is forthcoming. You can read more about the PMCSA cannabis project here.
Commentary in the media (newest to oldest)
Updated Fortnightly – 2/12/2019
- Dr Buzz Burrell (GP) discusses the state of understanding about medicinal cannabis.
- Tuari Potiki (Drug Foundation Chair) discusses how cannabis regulations need to be designed with and by Māori to honour the Te Tiriti o Waitangi.
- Alice Webb-Liddall (Staff Writer) discusses how legalisation could address bias in the legal system.
- Ben Franks (Former All Black) discusses his personal experience with cannabis and cannabis products that his company is involved with producing.
- Teresa Ramsey discusses casual cannabis use as a way to ‘wind down’.
- Andre McRae (Reporter) discusses Claire Robinson’s (Massey University) analysis on the upcoming cannabis and euthanasia referendum.
- Brittany Keogh (Reporter) discusses some recent results from US and what is needed to inform voters here.
- Kali Mercier (Guest Writer) discusses results from the recent State of Nation 2019 report on Alcohol and other drugs.
- Tom Forrest (Agronomist) discusses the opportunity for cannabis industry in Australia and New Zealand.
- Jane Patterson (Political Editor) discusses plans to combat misinformation and manipulation for the cannabis legalisation referendum that expands on an earlier article here.
- 1 News hosted a public debate between Paula Bennett (Deputy Leader National Party) and Chlöe Swarbrick (Green Party MP) discussing legalisation in New Zealand. Sam Brooks wrote a breakdown article of the debate on The Spinoff which you can read here.
- Alice Webb-Liddall (Staff Writer) discusses legal systems in five countries and how these may impact the shape a proposed framework in New Zealand.
- Hannah McGowan (Guest Writer) discusses some potential benefits of legalising cannabis.
- Alison Mau (Senior Journalist) discusses the effects of social media on democratic process and why it is important to be mindful for the cannabis referendum.
- John Weekes wrote a summary of recent opinions regarding legalisation.
- A recent report from the Helen Clark foundation has recommended the legalisation of cannabis with some easy to access media releases. A summary of the report can be read here.
- Pub Politics hosted an informal debate between of Paula Bennett (Deputy Leader National Party), Chlöe Swarbrick (Green Party MP), David Seymour (ACT Party) and Chris Fowlie (NORML & TDB).
- Patrick Gower recently released his two-part series ‘Patrick Gower: on weed’ and in additional work, Patrick explored some of the negative effects of cannabis.
- Mike Hosking has voiced concerns for the legalisation of cannabis in New Zealand.
- Michelle Glass (Professor of Pharmacology) and John Ashton (Associate Professor of Pharmacology) discuss issues with safety and effectiveness of cannabis-based products.
- Jay Kuten (Forensic Psychiatrist) discusses the issues with current laws in New Zealand.
- Derek Cheng (Political Reporter) provides a summary of issues relating to legalisation.